Taking an active role in your dental health starts with scheduling teeth cleanings and checkups every six months. Valley Ranch Dental offers these services to help our patients maintain optimal oral health. Our dentist and hygienists identify plaque and other problem areas before providing a thorough cleaning and educating our patients about keeping their smiles healthy. Routine teeth cleaning and dental checkups are an essential part of keeping your smile healthy and attractive. Missing regular checkups and cleanings can result in bad breath, gum infections, tooth decay, and an increased risk of periodontal disease. Additionally, poor oral health can have a negative impact on your overall health and well-being.
The benefits of regular dental checkups include:
- Longer lasting teeth
- Healthier gums and bones
- Early detection and treatment of cancer and other problems
- Prevention of tooth decay and gum disease
- A beautiful and healthy smile
Teeth cleaning and dental checkups are recommended every six months for most patients. If you have signs of gum disease or another oral health issue, more frequent visits may be recommended.
What to Expect During Your Visit
Appointments for teeth cleaning and dental checkups typically take about an hour, but the first appointment is usually a big longer. At Valley Ranch Dental, we take the time to get to know our patients, which helps us tailor treatment to the health needs and goals of every patient. The first time you visit our office, you can expect:
- Review of dental history – A hygienist will gather your dental and medical histories to give us a clear picture of your current health.
- Digital x-rays – A comprehensive exam includes digital x-rays for diagnosis purposes. If you are unable to have x-rays taken, please inform the hygienist.
- Oral screening and teeth exams – We perform an oral cancer screening, examine for tooth decay, and check for symptoms of cancer and other illnesses, such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Gum evaluation and teeth cleaning – The hygienist will evaluate your gums, measure periodontal pockets, and clean your teeth to remove plaque.
- Oral hygiene habits – We review and reinforce proper oral hygiene.
During teeth cleaning, the hygienist will identify and remove plaque (a soft film on the teeth) and tartar (hardened plaque that requires dental instruments to remove). We clean all surfaces of the teeth, including spaces between teeth and along gumlines. Prophy paste is used for cleanings, as it is coarse enough to remove plaque and leave the teeth smooth and shiny. We inform you about areas where plaque and tartar are building up, so you can use extra care when brushing and flossing.
Clean & Comfortable Environment
Honest & Affordable Dentistry
Comprehensive Care in One Location
Personalized Treatment Plans
Preventing Tooth Decay
There are several simple things you can do to help prevent tooth decay:
- Make sure to brush your teeth twice a day and floss every day
- Schedule tooth cleaning and dental checkups twice a year
- Limit sugary and acidic foods, which can damage the teeth
- Take fluoride tablets
Book an Appointment
Teeth cleanings and dental exams are covered by most dental insurance policies. Regular exams and cleanings can help prevent more serious and expensive dental health problems. Every patient is unique, so we are happy to discuss your individual situation with you. We present all possible costs up front to help you navigate your insurance benefits and help you enjoy a successful oral health experience.